Thursday, February 18, 2016

The No Plan Layout

Today I would like to share with you a mixed media layout that I did without any plan in mind.  I pulled a lot of product from my stash and selected a couple of my favourite stencils.  Flowers, metal, modeling paste, papers, chipboard, etc. were all random selections.  I did not use all of it but I liked to have
 a good selection ready to go.

I used my 12 x 12 stencil that you can see above first and applied the pattern onto my background paper using black paint.  Unfortunately the paint seeped under the stencil in a few spots.  Next time I will use either black ink or black gesso.  But I left it as it did not cause a large issue for me.
As I knew I was going to be using sprays and gesso on the background paper, I applied a coat of matte gel medium so that the sprays would not soak into the paper.  Next I white-washed watered-down white gesso into the areas around my picture.  Then I applied modeling paste using my favourite brick stencil.


I am still just applying things as I go.  After everything was nice and dry I sprayed the page with Prima Tea Stain spray, heavier on the brick sections and spread it around the bricks using a soft paint brush.  When the spray was dry I applied distress ink here and there onto the brick.  I then randomly stamped around the centre section with various stamps and brown archival ink.

The next step was my paper collage in the centre.  I selected several scrap papers and some ephemera pieces to make the collage making sure that they fit in with the heritage theme I decided to go for.


I added my picture using pop dots and placed my embellishments around the picture.  Flowers, burlap leaves, chipboard flourish a few metal gears and 3D flower stickers that I had left from another project.  At the very end I applied some white gesso here and there on the brick (not too much) and on the tips of the flowers for extra texture.
And here is the completed layout.

Until next time,
this is Donna wishing you a safe and happy weekend.
HAPPY CRAFTING
"COUNT YOUR LIFE BY SMILES, NOT TEARS. 
 COUNT YOUR AGE BY FRIENDS, NOT YEARS."

No comments: