Thursday, January 29, 2015

New Mixed Media Canvas Design

Today I thought I would share with you a 9 x 12 mixed media canvas that I completed.  Everything I used on this canvas was from my stash.  Canvases are a great way to use up a lot of your items that have been waiting to be used.   I am going to give you a brief tutorial on how I achieved this.  The picture is from a box of goodies.  You can use an actual picture of somebody if you wish.


I first took my canvas and painted a coat of clear gesso over the entire surface.  This gives a good foundation for all the other products that I applied.  I then took a patterned paper and tore a large piece off to go down the centre of the canvas.  I adhered the piece using matte gel meidum which is my favourite.  I tore smaller pieces of another patterned paper and adhered on top of the centre piece as shown below.  I then put a coat of the matte gel medium on top of the papers.


I then took a stencil and using modeling paste I placed the stencil around the perimeter of the papers.


Next with watered down gesso, I painted the entire surface of the canvas to seal everything but also to blend everything together.  I watered it down as I wanted the pattern paper to show through but to be softened as well.  

I wanted to use up some sprays that I have had for some time so I sprayed around the perimeter of the canvas with a light brown spray (Lindy's  Moon Shadow Mist).  Dried it then I came back with Heidi Swapp Gold Color Shine over the brown.  After letting everything dry I pulled out some Silks paint Olive Vine and Golden Monarch and added that onto the modeling paste sections.  When the sprays and paint were dry, I stamped around the perimeter with black staz-on ink using a circle stamp and a flourish stamp.  You can see this on the completed canvas picture.


To finish, I selected a few journaling blocks from my bin of goodies and added those around the centre section.  You can see one of them in the upper left corner, another at the bottom left side and one under the key on the right side. The frame was white so I dabbed black staz-on ink and some gold spray here and there.  I adhered the frame in the centre by doubling up glue dots to raise it up.  That made it easier to tuck flowers under the edge of the frame.  I cut an old scalloped metal circle in half and added one half to the top and the other to the bottom.  I then added my flowers around the frame, a large black key, and some metal pieces here and there.  And finally, which is an easy technique, with a small paint brush, I put white gesso onto the tips of the flower petals to soften everything.  Here are couple of closeups.
  


I hope you enjoyed another new canvas.  Until next time, this is Donna wishing you a happy and creative day and remember
"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."
                                                                     Beverly Sills
HAPPY SCRAPPING

No comments: