Monday, November 23, 2015

Easy Mixed Media Glass Jar

Hello everyone!!!  Today I thought I would share with you a quick Christmas table decoration using a glass jar that I found at my local craft store.  You can use jars in many shapes and sizes - you can even use an empty pickle jar if you like.  Below is the completed item and I will share with you the simple techniques that I used to complete it.

With plain white tissue paper, I cut pieces, wrinkled them, and adhered them to the glass jar using matte medium.  The matte medium is a very good adhesive especially on shiny hard surfaces like glass.  Below you can see the tissue.  Some spots you can still see the glass, but this will get covered up.  I added some netting around the  bottom of the jar to give a different texture.  You can add whatever you want.
I then painted the whole surface with a thick coat of white gesso.  The thicker coat added to the texture of the tissue.  Let this completely dry.


Gessoed surface  below.


I then painted the complete surface with a red kraft paint.  Any paint will do.  When this was dry I sprayed with a gold spray and let the spray run into the grooves of the tissue.  After this was dried I applied some gold textured paste (Finnibair) roughly here and there over the surface of the jar.  See below.



I tied a generous bow from an antique lace that I had.  Using a hot glue gun I added my embellishements:  flowers, pine branches (not real), poinsettia branch, gold poinsettia and tucked in a few extra Christmas decorations. I tucked some of them under the lace.   Below is a closeup of the jar from the left side and the right side.  This would make a nice gift for someone.



I hope you try this.  It was quite simple to make.  I may even try this with my granddaughters.
Until next time,
"Happy Crafting"
Candles and stars and Christrmas tree lights twinkle and glow in the velvet night.

No comments: