Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Quick and Easy Sketch

Hello everyone!!  I am back with another quick and easy sketch that you can complete
in a short amount of time.

Below is a layout that I did using the sketch but adding more paper strips.  

I selected papers from the My Minds Eye Cut and Paste collection, 4 different patterns.  I always like to use  a variety of patterns on my layouts.  First I selected my first background paper (striped).  I then cut down my next paper to an 11" square.  After inking the outside edges I took a border stamp and stamped around the outside edges of this paper.  I then adhered it to the centre of the striped paper.  Then I did some stamping, here and there with a word stamp and a border stamp with dots.   I also took a honeycomb stencil and inked it in various places.  There was no set pattern for this, I just went with what I felt like.  I did try to keep it away from the middle of the page so that it would be around the picture.  This just gave the background a little more texture.
From another piece of the striped paper I cut a piece 5" wide x 7" long and adhered this to the page next, as shown.  I then placed my picture in the centre of the page without gluing down.  I cut strips from the papers I selected, some 1 1/2" wide and some 1" wide.  Most  on the left side of the picture were about 4" long.  The ones under the picture were about 8" long.    Next I simply started placing my strips of paper (without gluing for now) around the picture and tucking them under the picture.  I overlapped the strips and varied the lengths.  When I was happy with my placement I adhered them down.   At this point you can adhere down your picture.  I used pop dots on my picture to give it a 3D look.   I then cut some more strips for the flags and placed them at the bottom right corner of the picture and larger ones coming out from the bottom left corner of the page.  I also added some punched scalloped circles with a fifth paper as shown on the layout.  This just added another shape to the layout instead of all straight lines.   And the rest is as you would like.  I added buttons here and there, some metal gears and tiny circles here and there, as well as some loose weave burlap ribbon under the picture and on top of the corner flags.  And for another texture I added some clear glossy accents (Tim Holtz) on top of the small dots created by my honeycomb stencil (upper right corner and at the top left corner of the picture).  Below is a close-up of the bottom right corner of the layout.

Have some fun, get creative.  Until next time, this is Donna wishing you a great day and some
HAPPY SCRAPPING!!!!!

1 comment:

Dee said...

I really like this layout and what you have done with it...great job!