Friday, June 27, 2014

A Sketch With A Twist

Hello everyone!!!!  Today I decided to do something different as far as my sketches go.  I will give you another sketch that I did recently.  But with a twist.  I took the layout and did a bit of mixed media with it.  Below is the sketch - with measurements - then a picture of the layout before I did my mixed media technique.

  There are no embellishments on this layout but it will still give you an idea of paper placements according to the sketch.


So I decided to take the layout and whitewashed the papers using a watered gesso.  This will blend the papers together. Let everything dry completely.

Next, using a Tim Holtz burlap stencil and some moulding paste, I applied the paste as shown below.  This gave it some more texture.
  
Let this dry.  I did have to go back and adhere some of the edges of the papers.  When all was glued down properly,  then I sprayed with mists - turquoise blue first then came back with a brown.  When the mists were completely dry, I added a lightly stamped image here and there using black ink.  Below is the completed mixed media technique.  When you add your pictures and embellishments the layout takes on a new look.


And here is the completed layout with pictures and embellishments.  As this is a boy layout, I kept the embellishments simple and leaning toward the male influence.  For more texture I added some burlap pieces behind the pictures.


Try this technique - you will be surprised at how easy it is.
Until next time
HAPPY SCRAPPING!!!!!
and remember
"An angler is a man who spends rainy days 
sitting around on the muddy banks of rivers doing nothing 
because his wife won't let him do it at home."

No comments: