Tuesday, October 14, 2014

A new mixed media layout

Hi everyone, Donna here.  Today, I have another mixed media layout to show you.  This one consists of lots of layering using canvas strips, patterned paper, threads from the canvas, moulding paste, burlap, sprays.  I tried something new using the canvas as I would patterned paper.  Here is the layout.

For the background I used corrugated paper.  I then took a sheet of paper with a wood design on it, cut it down to a 10" square,  tore around the outer edges, heavily inked the edges and adhered it to the centre of the corrugatged paper.  I also took a piece of canvas and cut it into various width strips.  I frayed the edges and kept the pieces of threads.

I then took the strips of canvas and adhered them down in a basket weave style.  One straight down, another one beside it, then one or two across the first two making sure that I varied the lengths of the strips.   I just adhered down randomly.  I then took a piece of patterned paper and cut strips from it and adhered these here and there on top of the canvas.  I did not completely cover the canvas with these paper strips.
Using a stencil I then added textured paste, mainly in the corners, added some drywall tape here and at the outside edges of the wood paper.
Then I took the threads from the canvas and just dropped them onto the layout, spreading them out as I went.

Using various colours of sprays (green, blue, some orange (as there is orange in the shirt) and brown lastly) I sprayed onto the paper here and there.  Onto the corrugated paper I rubbed some rusty coloured kraft paint to highlight it.
Around the picture I cut some scrap pieces of corrugated paper and burlap as shown.  Added a clock sticker and a journaling block at the bottom right corner of the picture.  Did not need to add too much behind the picture as I let the textures on the background paper highlight the picture.  And there you have it.
I hope you enjoy.
Until next time,
here is a little bit of inspiration for all the
HAPPY SCRAPPERS
"When it hurts to look back, and you're scared to look ahead, 
you can look beside you and your best friend will be there"

1 comment:

Scrapping Bug said...

LOVE it Donna!!